Do these humid, 90-degree days (at least, that's what it like here in Minnesota) have you dreaming about a slippery, sweating glass of cold white wine? We're with you!
One of the many magical features of wine is that it can totally transform depending on its temperature. A cool wine often feels a little tighter, a little brisker and a little less opulent than a room temperature one. Putting a little chill on a wine can also highlight different notes in flavor that might suprise you!
Summer's heat is the perfect excuse to start experimenting with chilled wines, especially reds that you might normally relegate to colder months. There are loads of light-bodied red grapes out there that shine when served cool! So clear a little space in your fridge and start below, with our list of 6 wines to chill this summer.
6 WINES TO CHILL THIS SUMMER
LIOCO 'Indica' Rosé | Mendocino County, CA
This rosé of Carignan is the perfect full-flavored but high-acidity wine to gulp on the patio this summer. On...
Photo: Ana Gabriel via Unsplash
To celebrate Women's History Month, we're highlighting a few exceptional women winemakers we love.
Isn't it silly that we have to put the word woman before the word winemaker, like it's an alien concept? But truthfully, the wine making business continues to be dominated by men, from farming to production to marketing to selling. A woman hoping to succeed in the field has to work much harder for the same recognition, and it helps if she's born into a family that's already established in the industry. It's more important than ever to recognize women succeeding in wine making, so that one day it won't seem so remarkable. It will just make sense.
MARTA CASAS + MARIA ELENA JIMENEZ
of Parés Baltá
Parés Baltá—just east of Barcelona, Spain—has been in the business of making cavas (and more) for over 200 years. For the last 20 years, the winery has been managed by brothers Joan and Josep Cusiné Carol. But the wine is up to their wives, Maria Elena Jimenez and Marta Casas.
Marta grew up playing...
Photo: Jonathan Cooper via Unsplash
Hey y'all, it's Friday! Here in Minnesota, it's been a balmy week with lots of sunshine. VERY un-December like, eh? Here's a little list of fun things to keep your spirits sunny and warm all weekend long:
FRIDAY FAVES - 12.8.20
- Looking for an escape? Try the Unspooled podcast, hosted by comedian Paul Scheer and film critic Amy Nicholson. They go deep on each of the AFI's top 100 movies of all time. Watch along with them for a rest from reality!
- How's your loungewear game these days? Check out this exhaustive post on the best sweats across all price points. Now THAT is some 2020 gold!
- There are a LOT of crappy holiday movies out there. But! Hulu's new film, Happiest Season, is a bright and funny Christmas tale that might just renew your interest in the Most Wonderful Time of the Year (especially if you're a Dan Levy fan).
- Once you've donned your new sweats and are ready to watch that non-crappy Christmas movie, be sure to pop open a bottle of Melville Pinot Noir. It makes a...
Photo: Courtesy of Carousel & Folk
Congratulations on crushing another week! Please enjoy the following little bits of fun:
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.16.20
- Kind of obsessed with alllll of the candles at Carousel & Folk. Especially these cloud candles!
- Been trying to use this simple thought from Cup of Jo to keep anxiety at bay.
- Have you ever tried a white Pinot Noir before? Get on it! Start with this one from Left Coast Cellars.
- Artist Christine McConnell has the spookiest, kookiest Instagram account, perfect for this time of year. And she goes ALL OUT when decorating her house for Halloween!
Have a great weekend!
Photo: Leonardo Sanches via Unsplash
Every year it's a challenge: The perfect, non-cliche, not-too-sappy yet totally memorable Valentine's Day date. Phew! We got your back. Here's a quick list of unique date ideas led by some fantastic wines. Cheers to you and your sweetie!
PUZZLE IT OUT
Get analog! Because so many of us are glued to screens these days, something as simple as doing a puzzle seems suddenly kooky and new. So, do a puzzle with your boo this February 14th! There are some genuinely gorgeous puzzles out there (check out Galison for some options!) to spice things up, and puzzling offers a natural environment for alllllmost grazing the hand of your hot date as you reach for another piece. [eye flutter]
PAIR WITH: François Montand, Brut Méthode Traditionnelle Blanc de Blancs | A sneaky and sophisticated sparkling wine for thoughtful types
KICK IT AT KARAOKE
Dress up in your favorite 80s metal gear and go crush it karaoke with a bangin' duet! Karaoke is like aerobics for the soul––guaranteed to make you sweat and...