Photo: Hansjorg Keller via Unsplash
Hello hello! Thanks for stopping by the blog! Please enjoy some of our favorite things on the internet this week, and have a lovely, orange-y Fall weekend.
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.21.22
- Why do I love Quarantine Kermi so much?!
- If you're looking for an alternative to the spooky snacks and drinks of the season, might I suggest orange wine?
- Who's up for a little self-care Target run? We've all done it!
- Cup of Jo's Fall favorites lists are the BEST.
- How's this for an inspiring movie?: In Blind Ambition, four Zimbabwean friends (and immigrants to South Africa) become sommeliers and make an inspiring journey to the World Wine Tasting Championship in Burgundy. And it's a true story! I'm IN.
Photo: Nika Benedictova via Unsplash
Do you ever miss trick-or-treating? I do! What other excuse do I have to house a bowl of fun-size Snickers?
Luckily, adulthood allows for some other delicious things. Like wine! And homemade snacks that give Snickers a run for its money. Throw your own adult-friendly Halloween party this Fall with these festive food and wine pairing ideas.
CHOCOLATE, PEANUT BUTTER
DRINK: El Maestro Sierra Pedro Ximenez Sherry
This spiced sherry is light on its feet and a perfect foil for nutty and milk chocolatey treats.
APPLE, PUMPKIN, BUTTER, CINNAMON
DRINK: Jim Barry 'Wintervale' Riesling
This Riesling is both rich in honeycomb flavor and lifted with citrus and florals that compliment all things pumpkin spice and baked apple.
DARK CHOCOLATE, RED VINES
DRINK: Rob Murray Vnyds 'Force of Nature' Zinfandel
Dark red and black fruit make this Zinfandel a friend to dark chocolate treats and classic licorice.
MARSHMALLOW, NOUGAT, SALTED CARAMEL
DRINK: Elderton 'E Series' Chardonnay
A creamy, peachy Chardonnay...
Photo: Ross Sneddon via Unsplash
It's October. The holiday season is around the corner, trees are erupting in fiery colors, and words like crisp and cozy and hunker down are on everyone's lips. It's pretty much the best time of the year, right? And it's also the best time of year for gathering.
From rowdy neighborhood bonfires to fancy Thanksgiving feasts, there are many reasons to get together in the Fall. And accordingly, there will be occasions where you're surrounded by just your core group of friends, and others where the party is much more nuanced and mixed. So, how will you ensure that your sister-in-law's love of all things bubbly jives with your Dad's insistence on "anything under fifteen bucks"?
Easy! Add our shop page to your bookmarks and take a deep breath. Maybe put on a little jazz. It's going to be ok.
Choosing beverages geared toward your (or anyone's!) specific tastes is exactly what our sommelier, Leslee, does. Our Let it Rip! tasting kit is a great place to start if you simply want someone to set...
Photo: Sip Better wine shop
It's the last day of September! How's your Fall feeling so far? We're loving that special golden afternoon light that accompanies the change in seasons. Have a great weekend and enjoy this little list of fun things!
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.30.22
- I want every one of these tropical fruit-shaped plates. The dragonfruit one is particularly gorgeous.
> DRINK THIS: Bilo Idro 'Marina Cuvée' from Dalmatia, Croatia
- You already know this by now, but Lizzo played a historical crystal flute from the Library of Congress! Now that's the kind of story I want to see on my newsfeed.
> DRINK THIS: Matic 'Mea' Blaufränkisch Pet Nat Rosé from Slovenia
- "The Science Behind Nonalcoholic Wine," from the Smithsonian Magazine.
> DRINK THIS: Giesen (0% alcohol) Sauvignon Blanc
- A guide to Fall-scented candles, broken down by price. That Charcoal Candle from Apotheke sounds luxurious.
> DRINK THIS: Birichino 'Saint Georges Old Vines' Zinfandel from California
- Are you getting into Pickleball like the rest of the...
Photo: Dimitri Jablokov via Unsplash
Happy Fall, y'all! Please enjoy some of our favorite internet finds this week, plus wine pairings to drink with them.
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.23.22
- Okay, this Spaghetti Squash Mac and Cheese is absolutely going on my to-make list. It's going to ROCK alongside a creamy but bright and minerally Chardonnay (see below).
> DRINK THIS: De Wetshof Estate 'Bon Vallon' Chardonnay
- Temps are dropping, friends! Get cozy with our somm-selected wines for Fall.
- Fred Franzia has passed away at age 79. Wine Enthusiast does a deep dive on the man's impact on bargain wines.
> DRINK THIS: Left Coast Cellars White Pinot Noir
- Need a great book recommendation for the winter months ahead? I love this Cup of Jo post calling for readers' top three books!
> DRINK THIS: Paolo Scavino Nebbiolo
- A great little guide for how to change your skincare routine for Fall and Winter.
> DRINK THIS: J. Bouchon 'Paîs Viejo'
- We've got our eyes on Minnesota's Fall Colors Finder! Where are you planning on peeping the leaves...