Photo: Kalineri Designs via Unsplash
We’ve said it before, but we’ll say it again: MUSHROOM season is upon us! And there are plenty of reasons to get excited about it! As the fall colors come in and the temps cool down, we’re finding ourselves getting crafty in the kitchen, with a glass of wine in hand (of course).
Speaking of vino, one of the many reasons we love the wine + mushroom combo is the health aspect. At Sip Better, we truly are sipping better with wines low in calories, sugar and made with organic and biodynamic processes. Mushrooms are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Due to their anti-inflammatory effects, mushrooms are also natural immunity system boosters. We love all things that TASTE good, but to also FEEL good is really the cherry on top.
From stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer or side dish to pair with the main course, creamy mushroom soup for those chillier nights, or a classic pasta and mushroom dish, the list is never ending. So now that your wheels are spinning on how to...
Photo: Bronwyn via Unsplash
Hi there, friend! Start your weekend off with a few fun things we found this week. Enjoy!
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.10.21
- Fit Foodie Finds is at it again! They're creating their own recipes for beloved coffee drinks. Their version of Starbucks' Apple Crisp Macchiato is SO intriguing. Cereal milk! Who knew!
- All of last week, our somm, Leslee, popped on Instagram to share her thoughts on Minnesota wine and grape varietals. Check out these fun, informative videos!
- As we head into cozy baking season, the cookbook Milk Bar: Kids Only sounds like the most epic winter activity for the kiddos in your life! Legendary Milk Bar pastry chef, Christina Tosi, has stuffed this book with easy, exciting recipes for kids that also teach them great habits in the kitchen.
- You guys. Jennifer Aniston finally created a hair care line.
- Make sure you have this Fall Foliage Prediction Map bookmarked so you can take advantage of the changing colors in your area!
Until next time!
Photo: Photo via Canva
It's hot drink season! What's YOUR favorite warm beverage?
Personally, I love a cheerful mug of mulled wine. It combines the best of Fall spices with the fire and complexity of a wonderful red wine. And the clincher is that it's SO. EASY. TO. MAKE!
Below is a simple recipe for making a batch of your own mulled wine. But it's really more of a guideline. Mulled wine is highly conducive to tinkering, so make it your own.
MAKE IT YOUR OWN
- If you like a LOT of cinnamon, add a couple more sticks!
- Want to cut back on the booze? Substitute the Brandy or Port for a few glugs of apple cider or a couple tablespoons of sugar.
- Maybe you hate oranges! Instead, toss in a few sprigs of fresh rosemary or whole peppercorns for a savory vibe.
Choose a wine with a flavor profile that compliments your ingredients (warm baking spices, orange, etc.), like a Montepulciano or a dry Portuguese red. Make sure it's affordable AND delicious.
Here are a few recommendations from Sip Better:
Raise your hand if you've got Pumpkin Spice Latte fatigue!
It's Fall, and cinnamon-spiked hot drinks are prolific. But I assure you, friend, there ARE other options out there! When you've had enough of PSL fever, try some of the wines our sommelier recommends in this video. From Schiava to rosé (it's ok, it's not just for Summertime!), you might just discover a new favorite grape to keep you company the whole winter through.
Photo: Angèle Kamp via Unsplash
Hello, it's Friday! You made it! Now, behold a few of our favorite things from the week.
FRIDAY FAVES - 9.18.2020
- I have been making quiche constantly and I just learned a secret trick: Create a crispy cheese barrier to prevent soggy bottom crust!
- Chunky, ultra-cool earrings from Lets Meet Friday.
- Loving all the good, warm Fall foods paired to wine. Especially some buttery roasted sweet potatoes with a glass of this creamy De Wetshof 'Bon Vallon' Chardonnay. Oof!
- For those nights when only mac 'n' cheese will do.
- If you love scary movies or you WANT to love scary movies, you've gotta check out The Scaredy Cats Horror Show. Perfect pre-Halloween entertainment.
Enjoy the weekend!
-- Emily Rentsch