Photo: Emily Rentsch
Italian wine is both beloved and kind of daunting. Italian wine makers are proud of the many indigenous grapes that thrive in their country, but with over 580 grapes in use across the land, there's a lot to sift through (and discover!) in this ancient gastronomical paradise.
We're here to make things a little simpler! Below, we'll run through some of the main wine-producing regions in Italy—from North to South—and highlight the most prominent grapes from each region. You'll get to know the grapes' basic flavor profiles and gain a bit more insight on how to choose a bottle of Italian juice the next time you're strolling the wine shop aisles. Let's dig in!
HOW TO READ ITALIAN WINE LABELS
First—how the heck do you decipher an Italian wine label?!
One of the big things to remember is that Italian wines are filed into one of four different classifications. These classifications (or appellations) indicate how well-controlled the production and quality of each wine is:
• DOGC (Denominazione...
Photo: David Wirzba via Unsplash
Hi! Thanks for stopping by! We hope this little list of links lifts your spirits.
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.15.21
- This is THE best apple cake I've found yet. It's the perfect marriage of crumbly coffee cake and tart apple dessert.
- Loving this critique of the Great British Baking Show, by Vanity Fair.
- Have you checked out our blog post on pairing wine to mushrooms?!
- Bookmark this list of bartenders' tricks for curing the hiccups!
- Get lost in this list of gorgeous trees around the world.
Have a lovely weekend!
Photo: Kalineri Designs via Unsplash
We’ve said it before, but we’ll say it again: MUSHROOM season is upon us! And there are plenty of reasons to get excited about it! As the fall colors come in and the temps cool down, we’re finding ourselves getting crafty in the kitchen, with a glass of wine in hand (of course).
Speaking of vino, one of the many reasons we love the wine + mushroom combo is the health aspect. At Sip Better, we truly are sipping better with wines low in calories, sugar and made with organic and biodynamic processes. Mushrooms are loaded with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. Due to their anti-inflammatory effects, mushrooms are also natural immunity system boosters. We love all things that TASTE good, but to also FEEL good is really the cherry on top.
From stuffed mushrooms as an appetizer or side dish to pair with the main course, creamy mushroom soup for those chillier nights, or a classic pasta and mushroom dish, the list is never ending. So now that your wheels are spinning on how to...
Photo: Svitlana via Unsplash
Hello! I hope you've had a lovely week and are looking at an even better weekend. Enjoy these things we're loving!
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.8.21
- Candy Corn Jello shots, anyone?
- I made this Creamy Roasted Cauliflower and Mushroom Soup the other day. It is intensely umami, rich, and totally vegan somehow! Make it for a taste of fall.
- Speaking of mushrooms! There's a new section in the Sip Better SHOP highglighting wines that are delicious paired with mushrooms of all sorts. Check it out!
- Would love to take a sniff of this Sriracha Rose candle from Otherland!
- If you find yourself in Superior, WI one of these days, may I recommend dinner at Eddie's World Famous Ribs? It's a cozy supperclub with strong drinks, quirky decor, and huge portions of piping hot and delicious food that you definitely won't finish.
Until next week!
Photo: Hanny Naibaho via Unsplash
Welcome to October! Fall is officially in full swing and I hope you're loving it. Here's what we found and loved on the internet this week. Enjoy!
FRIDAY FAVES - 10.1.21
- This puff pastry-based apple tarte tatin from Serious Eats looks too simple not to try.
- Holy moly, you've got to check out these stunning, pastel JELLY CAKES made in L.A. They look like something from a dream!
- Alllllll of the Starbucks fall drinks, from best to worst. (I fully agree with their #1 choice. Do you?)
- Did you catch our somm, Leslee, stompin' grapes at 7 Vines Vineyard the other day?
- Everything you need to drink wine and party in Halloween style is right here and here (helloooo, eyeball garland!).
Have a relaxing weekend!